About Us Passports for children born in Sweden / Latvia

  • It is informed that the consular appointments stand cancelled until further notice. Applications need to be sent by post as visitors are strictly not allowed in Embassy premises.
  • Presently there is a delay in the processing of cases, given the situation. It may take 6-8 weeks to get a new passport. If the documents are incomplete/missing, the case will be further delayed and the date of submission will be considered as the date of completion of application.
  • It will be highly appreciated if the status related queries are sent only in case you don't hear from us even after 8 weeks of completion of your application.
  • Please don't enclose your current original passport while you post the application to us. You don't have to enclose the return envelope as well. We shall send an email with instructions on collection once the new passport is ready.

  •        Address to post your documents : Kornhamnstorg 4, Box 2131, 10314 Stockholm

To obtain an Indian Passport for a new-born child, it is essential to first register the child at http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in for obtaining the Indian nationality, within one year of the birth of child. To get a child registered as an Indian national, at least one of the child's parents must be an Indian citizen.

Please Note:

If the parents of the child fail to do the registration of the child as an Indian citizen within one year of child's birth, process to obtain an Indian nationality/passport is subject to different procedure.

The Embassy needs to refer the matter to the authorities in India to get clearance as to whether the Embassy can issue the Birth Registration/Certificate to the child and the application for child's Indian Passport can only be processed further when the child has got an Indian nationality Certificate from the Embassy.

Check list for the documents required For new born children:

  • Copy of PDF generated after Registration of Birth of Child,  
    http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in under the category "Registration of birth of a minor child at an Indian Consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955"
  • An affidavit named Declaration by Parents for an Indian Passport to a Minor Applicant, under the age of 18 (can be found under Application forms on our website; Form no.3, under forms related to Passport services)
    Please note that if any of the fields are found to be empty or any of the questions is not answered properly on this affidavit, passport application will not be accepted. Fake signatures of any of the parents on this affidavit may lead to legal consequences.
  • Photocopies of both the parent’s passport (first and last page)  
  • Copy of Residence Permit/Work permit for both the parents (front & back side)
  • Hospital Discharge Certificate OR first two pages of the Förlossningsjournal
  • Marriage certificate, duly attested by the state government. If issued in Sweden/Latvia, the marriage certificate should be duly notarized.
  • Latest Personbevis OR the Extract of Population Register issued by Skatteverket (having child’s name) for Residents of Sweden
  • One Local address proof for Residents of Latvia
  • A self -addressed A4 sized stamped REK envelope, if you want the passport to be posted back to you (Applicants living in Latvia may send self-addressed envelope with 11 International Reply Coupons).
  • Proof of bank-giro payment of SEK 751/- (SEK 734/- includes 2 components: SEK 245/- for issue of a Birth Certificate and SEK 489/- for issue of Passport to the child)

Please note that MOTTAGNINGSKVITTO (from Migrationsverket) for both the parents if the visa is under extension, along with a letter from employer/Institute from either of the parents.

IMPORTANT: You have to register the name of the child with Skatteverket as per their rules. While filling the Passport application form and online birth registration, you may write the name as you want. Once you have the name in desired format in passport, you may get the name changed with Skatteverket. You're suggested to always secure a copy of complete application (that you submitted to the Embassy) along with the very first Personbevis of child, issued by Skatteverket (having different name/surname) as Skatteverket might ask for it later while you register the new name/surname and citizenship of the child.

Consular Services