About Us FAQs on Passport Services

FAQs on Passport Services  

Q.No.1. Do I have to come to the Mission in person to apply or can I send the application by post? 

There are two methods of applying for an Indian Passport:

  • Deposit the application form and the documents in person at the Embassy. Once the passport is ready for collection, the applicant will be notified via email. There is no online tracking system available unfortunately.

  • Send the application form and documents by post to the Embassy (in this case, a return envelope must accompany the application with the applicant's address for return of the Indian Passport)

Q.No.2. Do I need to bring my new-born/minor for submitting the passport application or while collecting the passport?

It is not obligatory to bring newborn/minors at the time of submission of applications (if the thumb imprints of minors have been taken at correct places) or during the collection of passports. Either of the parents can come and get the service required for their children. Parents are requested to carry their photo ID proof while visiting on behalf of children.

Q.No.3. When I print the application form it says ‘The date and time of appointment is printed on the Application Form’ but I cannot see it.

The appointment needs to be booked separately on our website under BOOK CONSULAR APPOINTMENT. https://www.indembassysweden.gov.in/page/consular-appointment/

Q.No.4. Can I come and collect the passport on my friend’s behalf?

It is suggested that the person passport belongs to; submits it and collects it for himself/herself. In case of extreme emergency only close family members can collect the passport along with an authority letter signed by the applicant and a photo ID proof of the individual collecting it.

Q.No. 5. The Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency) isn’t ready to put my child’s name as I want. According to them, father’s name cannot be child’s surname. What should I do?

You can register the name of the child with Skatteverket as per their rules. While filling the Passport application and birth registration online, you may write the name as you want. Once you have the name in desired format in the passport, you may go to Skatteverket and get the name changed in Personbevis.

Q.No.6. What is an REK envelope which I should send for receiving the passport back?

An REK envelope is a registered post (rekomenderat brev) which is worth SEK 91 and more and an REK number is generated along with it so that one gets a tracking number in order to track it. Please don’t forget to get a tracking number for return envelope when you fix it at some store or with PostNord. One can get more information about this from PostNord or the stores which sell envelopes & stamps (COOP, ICA etc.)

Q.No.7. What is a jumbo Passport? 

Jumbo passport booklet contains 60 pages. Frequent travelers may apply for it.

Q.No.8. How long does it take to issue a new passport? 

The processing time is 4 weeks, if the passport application is complete in all respect. In case a reference is to be made to the original Passport Issuing Authority, it might take longer time.

Q.No.9. Do I need to enclose my original passport with my passport application? 

Yes, the original passport needs to be submitted to us.

Q.No.10. What documents are required for endorsement of my wife’s/husband’s name in my new passport?

 For endorsement of spouse’s name, please enclose a copy of marriage certificate (duly attested by the state government) along with a photocopy of the spouse's passport. If issued in Sweden, the marriage certificate should be duly notarized.

Q.No.11. How can I ensure that my Indian address is printed in my new passport? 

While filling the application form online, please mention the address that you want in new passport. It can be;

  • The address mentioned on your current passport OR

  • The address written on Personbevis (in case you want Swedish address) OR

  • Your new address for which you will have to provide either an Aadhar card OR two different address proofs with the new address (Voter ID card, driving license, passbook copy of nationalized banks, utility bills etc.) Out of the two proofs provided, one has to be a photo ID proof.

Q.No.12. What document should I send to get ECNR stamp on my passport? 

The practice of putting ECNR stamp on passport has been discontinued. Therefore, no document is required to be sent for this purpose.

Q.No.13. My passport is still valid. However, all pages of my passport are exhausted. What should I do? Can I have an additional booklet? How can I apply for the same?

 If nearly all pages in your passport have been utilized, you may apply for re-issue of passport. You can apply for a normal MRP booklet or a Jumbo MRP booklet. Additional booklets are not issued now. You will have to provide a signed letter stating the same.

Q.No.14. My passport is due to soon expire. When is the latest time I should apply for re-issue?

 Application for re-issue of passports, which are expiring within 12 months, can be accepted for processing/granting. If there are any changes/corrections in the details of the applicant on first inner cover page of the passport, a new passport should be applied. For e.g. for a passport getting expired on 30/09/2021, the application for re-issue can be submitted any time after 30/09/2020.

Q.No.15. I understand that after issue of new passport, my old passport will be cancelled. Does this mean that all valid visas on my old passport will also be cancelled?

 The old passport is required to be cancelled at the time of issue of new passport but the Embassy does not cancel the visas on the passport.  However, some countries require that the visa should be on a valid passport.  Please check the regulations of the relevant country.

Q.No.16. I have a hand-written passport which still has validity for more than a year. Can I apply for a Machine-Readable Passport?

 Yes. You should apply for re-issue of a passport on this ground.

Q.No. 17. I would like to change my Indian address in my passport. Will I have to pay extra charges for this? Can this change be reflected in my current passport?

 You will have to apply for a fresh passport as now corrections are not allowed in the laminated pages of the passport. Please provide 2 different address proofs for the same or a copy of your Aadhar card.

Q.No.18. Would the renewal of my passport change my passport number?

 Yes. A new passport booklet is issued with a new number and new validity.   

Q.No. 19. I have been recently issued my new passport. However, I notice that there is a minor mistake in printing of my name / father’s name /mother’s name. How can I get it rectified? 

Please bring in or post your passport and other supporting documents including your previous cancelled passport (mentioning correct names) to the Embassy. If there is a printing mistake or typo by the Embassy, a new passport will be issued without any fees. But if there has been a mistake from applicant’s end while filling the online application, you will have to start a new application and pay the fee again.

 Q.No.20. I wish to change my signature. How do I apply for it? 

The signature in the applications form for new passport should exactly match with the signature on old passport. If the applicant wishes to change the signature, then it is suggested to do the same first in India after following the procedures there.