About Us Types of Visas

As per the Government of India instructions no visa will be issued by the Embassy to foreign nationals intending to visit India for commissioning surrogacy with immediate effect (06.11.2015)

For child/children born through surrogacy already commissioned on or before issue of above notice, exit permission will be decided by Foreign Regional Registration Office (FRROs) on a case to case basis.

Types of visas

You should apply for the category of visa corresponding to the purpose of your visit. Misuse would lead to immediate cancellation of Visa Details regarding different categories of visas, maximum duration and supporting documents required can be found below.

  1. Tourist Visa (T)
  2. Business Visa (B)
  3. Employment Visa (E)
  4. Student Visa (S)
  5. Transit Visa (Tr)
  6. Research (R)
  7. Journalist (J)
  8. Medical (M)
  9. Conference (C)
  10. Entry (X) visa
  11. For Study of Yoga/Vedic culture/Indian system of dance/Music
  12. As per prescribed format- click here

1.  Tourist Visa (T)

Tourist Visa is issued to visit India for tourism purposes. The visa is non-extendable and non-convertible. Change of purpose is not allowed.
Requirements :

  • Duly completed, printed and signed visa application form (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/).
  • Two recent colour passport size (2inch x 2inch) photographs in colour showing full frontal face against a white background to be pasted on the application form.
  • Current valid passport with minimum of 190 days validity and must have minimum 2 blank pages.
  • Copy of personbevis in English

2. Business Visa (B)

B Visa is granted to a foreign national who wants to visit India to establish an industrial/businessventure or to explore possibilities to set up industrial/business venture or wants to purchase/sellindustrial products in India.
Business visa holders are required to register themselves with the FRRO/FRO in case theaggregate stay in India exceeds 180 days during a calendar year.
Foreigners intending to visit India for employment purposes may note that in cases where theyare paid salary/remuneration outside India, they would be granted Business Visa.

Documents required
1) Passport valid for a minimum of 180 days with at least two blank pages.
2) One photograph. For photo requirements, visit "visa application procedure"
3) Printout of the online application form dulysigned.https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
4) A letter from the company in Sweden/Latvia explaining the nature of business and duration ofvisit.
5) A Letter of invitation from an Indian company stating the purpose and duration for which visa isrequested.

6) Proof of financial standing and expertise in the field of intended business.
7) Proof of registration of the inviting Indian Company.
8) Copy of personbevis in english

Visa for air crew members
Business Visa for appropriate duration is granted to crew members of scheduled/non-scheduled
flights operated by scheduled airlines, non-scheduled and chartered flights operated by nonscheduled airlines and special flights.

Click here

3 .  Employment Visa (E)

- For taking up employment in India.

- A foreigner who wishes to come to India for Remunerative employment, Intra-company transferee and staff/ faculty in South Asian University/ Nalanda University.

- A foreigner who wishes to come to India for honorary work/ without salary/ with NGOs registered in India. Foreigner who are eligible for honorary work with NGOs may be paid honorarium up to Rs. 10,000/- per month.


If eligible, employment visa is granted for a maximum period of one year at the Embassy. The Embassy does not have a policy of issuing employment visa for the second time to the same person for working more in the same company, amounting to an extension. Extension, if required, has to be sought at FRRO in India 

Supporting Documents

- To be eligible to apply, your salary offer must be at least INR 16.25 lakhs per annum

- Employment contract duly signed by the employer and employee.

- Acceptance of the offer duly signed by the employee.

- Employment contract must be on a non-judicial stamp paper.

- Proof of registration/incorporation of company with the Government of India.

- Letter on employer's letterhead indicating nature of job, salary structure and duration of contract.

- Copy of degree/diploma/certification/training

- Resume of applicant with a copy of relevant credentials.

- For Teaching Jobs: Letter of appointment from the school and No-objection Certificate from the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, New Delhi.

- For Pilots: Letter of clearance from Directorate General of Civil Aviation.

4.      Student Visa (S)

Student Visa is issued for undertaking educational studies in recognized educational institutions in India. The duration of the visa would be as per the duration of the course to be pursued. A maximum of four entries per academic year would be allowed to facilitate visits to home country during vacation.


  • Duly completed, printed and signed on-line visa application form (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/).
  • Two recent colour passport size (2inch x 2inch) photographs, showing full frontal view of face against a white background to be pasted on the application form.
  • Current valid passport with minimum of 190 days validity and must have minimum 2 blank pages.
  • A letter from a recognized educational institution in India confirming admission of the applicant and duration of the course.
  • Evidence of financial arrangements made for maintenance in India.
  • If admission is not confirmed, provisional admission letter may also be produced.
  • Proof of completion of graduation/post graduation (Only for Internship)
  • Copy of personbevis in English

Processing Time:
Please note this application may take longer processing time.
For pursuing internship in NGO may take processing time up to 40 days

Please Note:

  • A provisional visa may be issued in cases where the applicant does not have a firm letter of admission from the university, recognized college or educational institution.
  • A copy of the provisional admission certificate/letter of offer issued by the institution in India must be furnished. 
  • A provisional visa is valid for 6 months which shall be extendable by the jurisdictional State Government/UT Administration/FRRO/FRO upto six months on production of satisfactory documentary evidence.
  • In case, the Students get regular admission in some University/recognized college or educational institution within the validity of the provisional visa, the State Government/UT Administration/FRRO/FRO may be approached to obtain ‘Student Visa’

5.   Transit Visa (TR)

Changing flights and travelling to another country. Transit should be the sole purpose and stay should not be misused for work or business. Change of purpose is not allowed for Transit Visa.


Valid for entry within 15 days of date of issue for direct transit which cannot be more than three days of visit. If the journey is not performed within the period of the validity of the transit visa, a fresh transit visa will be required.

A person who desires to make two entries into India in the course of the same journey can be granted a transit visa valid for two entries and for stay in transit for a period not exceeding 3 days for each journey.

Supporting Documents

Copy of confirmed tickets for onward journey.

6.      Research (R)

To pursue research through Indian Universities.


Depends on the nature of research and documents given to Embassy.

Supporting Documents

Synopsis of proposed research work, information regarding qualification, background and aims of the researcher, details about supervisor (in Sweden), proposed time period of research and financial arrangements for research including local costs.

7.     Journalist Visa (J)

All Journalists, including photographers/film producer or director (other than of commercial films), a representative of a Radio or Television organisation, travel writer or travel promotion photographer etc. are required to apply for Journalist Visa only, even if the visit to India is for reasons other than journalism.

Journalists are granted single entry visa valid for a maximum stay of three (3) months.

Requirements :

  • Duly completed, printed and signed on-line visa application form (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/).

  • Two recent passport size (51 mm x 51mm) photographs.

  • Current valid passport with minimum of 190 days validity and must have minimum 2 blank pages.

  • A letter from the employer stating the purpose of travel and detailed programme and the places to be visited for Journalism purposes.

Prior authorization of the Indian Government is mandatory for any audio-visual reporting / shooting of documentary films in India, regardless of their subject, category or duration. These include documentary films, reportages, institutional or educational films, radio documentary, still shoots, corporate videos, television commercials and publicity, or any other audio-visual report meant for public diffusion or telecast.

Foreign Audio-Visual Agencies intending to shoot documentary films/AV commercials should send the completed application form and signed undertaking (placed below) to the Embassy of India, Stockholm for processing. Once the proposal is approved, the Indian missions abroad will issue Journalist ('J') visa for travel to India for filming. Documentary filming is not permissible on other types of visas (e.g. tourist/business visas). Import of filming equipment is facilitated only upon issue of the clearance.

  1. All pages of the filming application form must be printed on the letter-head paper of the company. The Undertaking has to be duly signed, dated and stamped. Two copies of the duly filled application form and Undertaking have to be submitted to the Embassy of India, Stockholm, for processing, and should contain the following information in the order indicated:

    • Application Form (click here)

    • Undertaking (click here)

    • Detailed Synopsis of the documentary

    • Itinerary (Ports of entry and exit from India to be indicated)

    • Bio-profile of the journalist/ film-director

    • Brief presentation of the production agency

    • Exact locations with dates for filming

    • List of cinematic equipment to be used

    • List of crew-members giving the following details:

    • Name and surname as featuring in the passport

    • Contact coordinates - telephone & e-mail

    • Profession

    • Nationality

    • Date and place of birth (Day/ Month/ Year)

    • Passport number & validity

  1. The processing time is approximately up to 15 weeks if the filming proposal involves (a) sensitive issues or if the itinerary includes restricted/protected/prohibited or vulnerable zones, reserve forests (b) underwater or aerial filming, as these cases all require prior and mandatory clearance from different nodal Ministries and authorities in India.

  2. Please note that the authorization is indicated on the visas of the filming crew, therefore no visa can be accorded before the clearance is

8.    Medical (M)

Medical Visa is meant for those foreigners whose sole objective of visit to India is to seek medicaltreatment in established/recognised/specialised Hospital /Treatment Centres in India for seriousailments.

Medical Attendant Visa

Medical Attendant Visa is meant for the attendant / family members of the patient coming to Indiafor medical treatment. This visa is co-terminus with Medical Visa of the patient. Maximum twopersons (Attendant and family members of the patient) will be granted this visa. The applicant isrequired to produce a letter from established/recognised/specialised Hospital/Treatment Centresin India confirming that assistance is required by the patient on Medical Visa with the MedicalAttendant's name included in the said letter.

Requirements :

1) Duly completed, printed and signed on-line visa application form(https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/).
2) Two recent colour passport size (2inch x 2inch) photographs, showing full frontal view offace against a while background to be pasted/stapled on the application form.
3) Current valid passport with minimum of 190 days validity and must have minimum 2 blankpages.

A Medical certificate/advice from established/ recognised/specialised Hospital/TreatmentCentres(as per prescribed format- click here) in India confirming the dates, place(s) and theduration of the treatment
Click here

09Conference (C)

Attending a conference /seminar or workshop.


Maximum validity of six months

Supporting Documents

Invitation for the event. In case of an international conference, organisers may be asked to provide the clearance of concerned Indian Authorities.

10. Entry (X) visa

Entry Visa is granted to Persons of Indian Origin, foreign national who is married to Indian citizen/OCI/PIO card holder and their children and Foreign nationals, who own property in India can be granted Entry Visa.


# Duly completed, printed and signed on-line visa application form at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
# Two recent colour passport size (2inch x 2inch) photographs in colour showing full frontal face against a white background to be pasted on the application form.
# Current valid passport with minimum of 190 days validity and must have minimum 2 blank pages.

If the applicant previously held Indian nationality
# A copy of renunciation certificate/surrender certificate and cancelled Indian passport

If the applicant is the spouse/child of an Indian national or person who previously held Indian nationality
# A copy of marriage certificate in case of spouse and birth certificate in case of child.
# Proof of Indian origin of spouse or parent (one of the following documents):
# Passport copy of spouse or parent
# Copy of surrender certificate of spouse or parent

If the applicant is accompanying a parent or spouse holding a PIO or OCI card
# Copy of PIO card or OCI card of parent or spouse
# Marriage certificate in case of spouse and birth certificate in case of child

If the applicant wishes to join the Auroville Foundation, Aurobindo Ashram, Missionaries of Charity, Temples etc.
# Official Invitation letter issued by the Secretary of Auroville/Aurobindo Ashram/Missionaries of charity/temples

If the applicant owns a property in India
Copy of permission letter from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to acquire the property in India/ Copy of proof of ownership/acquisition of property in India/Copy of registration of the property with the concerned authority in India

If the applicant is a minor under the age of 12
Authorisation letter must be submitted by both parents
Copy of passport or national identity card of both parents

Processing Time:
 5-7 business days after receipt of the application at the Embassy.


* Marriage certificate (attested by the Home Department of concerned State Government and then by the Consular Division in the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi). If issued in Sweden/Latvia, the marriage certificate should be duly notarized. Marriage certificate in Latvian should be translated in English.

* Applicants applying on dependent or spouse basis must be married. Civil partnership is not recognised by the Indian Government and hence such applicants must apply for a Tourist visa.

*   The Embassy of India reserve the right to ask for further documentation where necessary.

*   If you are a sports person then you may apply under Business visa category.

11.  For Study of Yoga/Vedic culture/Indian system of dance/Music


It is granted for the duration of the course and upto a period of 5 years whichever is less.

Supporting Documents

Letter of invitation from a regular institution in India, in the name of applicant, dates and purpose of stay etc.

The applicant produces adequate proof that he/she will have sufficient financial sources at his/her disposal to meet the cost.